Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Crazy Compassionate: the story of an MS 150 participant


You might have to be a little crazy to hop on a bike for 85 miles one day and get back on the second day for another helping of 60-plus miles the next morning.

After riding the “Multiple Sclerosis 150 – Escape to the Lake (Erie)” last year I did a self check: “Katie, really think about how much pain you were in….how delusional and fatigued you became after riding so far in intense heat…how many cars flew past you at inappropriate speeds…how sore your legs were for the following week…” I can be impulsive and wanted to commit the pain of the event to memory so that I didn’t sign up for another year then dread the commitment.

These thoughts were flowing through my mind at our awards banquet last year. Suddenly the inner dialogue was cut through with a quick sentence from the race organizer. “Next year the midpoint will be in Edinboro.” Edinboro is where I grew up, so I immediately knew I was in!

On June 6th, 2009 at 7:30 a.m. my dad, boyfriend Kyle and I were ready to roll. The weather was a chilly 48 degrees with a serious fog cover. Our start time was delayed in an attempt to let the sun break through until 8 a.m. then we took off. The fog persisted and I experienced a new sensation where your body is cold and covered with goosebumps, yet the air is humid. I call it cold-clammy.

Around 9:30 the sun broke through and we hit our first rest stop. Spirits were high and after quick water bottle fill-ups and downing of PB&J sandwiches we got back onto our bikes.

We saw a lot of beautiful sights on those miles. Many Amish and Mennonites gathered on their porches to watch the spectacle of 1,640 cyclists rolling by. Horses, cows and goats looked up from their fields.

I give a lot of credit to the volunteers. Volunteers fall into three main categories and are about a one-to-one ratio with the riders. There are support vehicle drivers, rest stop helpers, and bike shop employees. My mom drove her car along the course for the second year. She cheered for us whenever she passed and picked up any riders that needed assistance whether they had fallen, needed more fluids, a ride to the next rest stop or were fixing a tire. Rest stop helpers give you much needed food, water and Gatorade. The bike shop employees help fix bike problems and sell things such as extra tubes. My dad was particularly excited to introduce me to his New Amish friend and bike shop owner Steven and his crew who are all Jamis enthusiasts and rode about 25 miles in dress shirts, suspenders, and dress pants to set up and help!

After a particularly cruel sequence of hills Saturday, we were down to the final 2 miles. I knew the area well since our loop ended in Edinboro and was overjoyed to tell Kyle “it’s all downhill from here!”

Sunday morning we woke up and headed down to the starting line once again. This time instead of a loop we headed towards the Ohio border and beyond to end in Conneaut, Ohio on the shore of Lake Erie. In contrast to the year before, the weather was cool and comfortable.

The trade-up I did from a hybrid bike to a true road bike (thank you for letting me borrow your bike Jackie!) was also a huge perk. The miles flew by. We had a much easier course than Saturday with few steep climbs and many pleasant down-hills. I was in a fabulous mood until the occasional shoulder cramp or quad pain brought me back to the reality of what a grueling endeavor distance biking is.

In the afternoon, we zoomed past the finish line to Conneaut Lake Park where they have a DJ blaring uplifting songs (yes, you guessed it – Cool & the Gang “Celebrate Good Times” was in the lineup). Kyle, my dad and I quickly hopped off our bicycles and bee-lined for the free pizza. Next, I suggested that we grab a Dilly Bar and walk to the waters edge. The three of us lazily strolled down the boardwalk and sat on a bench watching the water.

Soon, a woman named El walked by. She has MS and spoke to our Dick's Sporting Goods team last year during “Lunch and Learn” sessions. She helped explain to us what having the disease is like and offered lots of inspiration and appreciation for the riders who raise money and donate their time. She was using a cane and aided by her family. They sat down to the right of us at another bench.

Seeing her walk by with the loving support of her family was a great reminder of why I toughed it out and rode for a second year. I am blessed to have my health and to have a compassionate heart that wants to help others. I am blessed to have a family and friends that support me through my life and I’m proud to be able to help raise well-deserved funds to the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation so that they can keep improving people’s lives with research and aide.

If you would like to get involved you can visit the national site:
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/index.aspx

If you would like to donate to my personal fundraising site please visit:
http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Bike/PAXBikeEvents?px=4446912&pg=personal&fr_id=10747
~Katie T. (Ivie-Pittsburgh)


No comments:

Post a Comment