Friday, May 21, 2010

My Junior Achievement Experience

by Aaron Conoly
Recently, I decided to participate in Junior Achievement, an organization that seeks to help kids of all grade levels learn the real-world information and skills they need to be competitive in a global marketplace. Class topics range from how to be a good citizen to how to do well in a job interview.

I decided to teach a ninth grade class with a colleague from work. The ninth grade curriculum focuses on preparing students to successfully interview for and perform at their job. Some of the important issues we discussed with the class included

-Effective listening and speaking skills
-How to build rapport
-Teamwork
-Creative problem solving
-Conflict resolution and negotiation
-How to effectively market yourself
-How to write an effective resume
-How to have a successful interview.

We met with our class every Monday for seven weeks. During the class, I was struck by how much I would have benefited from a program like this when I was in high school. Ninth grade is an interesting time for a young adult; you’re just at the cusp of deciding what the rest of your life will look like. It’s such a crucial time, especially because of the pressures young people face. In ninth grade, almost every major decision can be framed as such, “I can do x, which will distract from my studies and chances at a better life, or I can do y, which will establish the building blocks for a better life.” Often the distinction between x and y is difficult and the decision even more so. If someone would have taught Junior Achievement in my ninth grade class, I would have had been better equipped to make better choices, or at a minimum, have had more to think about at that crucial time. Luckily I had a good work ethic, but experiencing a Junior Achievement class certainly would have helped.

At the end of seven weeks of games, critical thinking exercises, and lively discussion, we had our last JA class. The students thanked us for their time, and we left our contact information with them. I believe we made a difference, if only a small one, with some of the kids. Anytime an adult can take time to share experiences and/or mentor a child, they make a huge impression in that child’s life.

I would highly recommend teaching a Junior Achievement course. It’s a great opportunity to make a positive difference in your community.

No comments:

Post a Comment