Friday, March 28, 2008

Riding towards health and a world free of MS



Hello! I'm Katie Turk - Account Coordinator on site at Dick's Sporting Goods in Pittsburgh, PA. Briana and I are participating in a 150 mile bike ride for 2 days in June. My dad is an avid cyclist which encourages me to think via genetics maybe I will be a great rider too. As seen in the picture above, I'm not too buff, but I know that I'm blessed with a healthy body that will carry me through to the finish line. I'll have the support and encouragement of fellow riders Bri, my boyfriend, dad and brother as well as my mom on the sidelines volunteering and all my buddies at Dick's.
Through "Lunch and Learn" sessions here we've learned more about how devastating it feels for someone with MS to have things we take for granted like walking become painful and challenging. The MS Society is a worthy place to donate to because of their very low overhead costs and dedication to helping people.
I also volunteer for an organization in Pittsburgh that provides health services to women. The great thing about volunteering is that you better yourself while helping others. You feel good once you have done something nice for someone else. When you learn about different people's challenges and circumstances it helps you to reflect on the blessings in your life.
In the case of this bike ride, we will be physically bettering ourselves in addition to emotionally growing. Heck, maybe we'll even cut down on a few carbon emissions (in keeping with Ivie's GREEN initiative) when we're zipping around on our bikes instead of starting up the car for quick trips to the grocery store.

1 comment:

  1. Katie: Thanks for riding in the MS 150! My next door neighbor has MS, and my family has been active in supporting MS research through our contribution to the MS 150 in the Dallas area. I haven't had the courage to try to ride that far, though.

    Hope you have good weather for the event!

    ReplyDelete